Saturday, June 2, 2012

Garage Sale Saturday!

Most Saturdays Nick and I like to get up early(ish) and go garage sale-ing. It isn't really something that I grew up doing but Nick got me into it after we got married. I love the thrill of finding something awesome for just a few dollars. Some days are a total bust and some days we hit the jackpot. Today was one of the better days.

I have a few things that I generally look for at garage sales

1. Home decor- I like to collect unique things that could be put on shelves/tables etc. around the house. I also like to find things that can be used to create pinterest projects

2. Things for the baby- Lately it has been DVDs, books, and toys

3. Books- You can often find great books for a steal...people usually sell hardcover books in great shape for $3 and under

4. I really really TRY not to buy junk that will just take up space. I'm not always successful at this. If it is cool and costs less than $2 I always want to buy it.

We also have a few rules of thumb when it comes to garage sales

1. The earlier the better. The best stuff is found before 9am.

2. Stop when it is no longer fun - usually after about 10am when I'm hungry, the baby is cranky, and we are out of money

3.  Budget- we usually don't spend more than $20 UNLESS it is a screamin deal on something we need. Keyword need.

4. Don't try too hard - I have found that the more we plan and look up sales online and the farther out of our way we drive, the more disappointed we are. We try to stay local and just follow signs.

5. Time is money - 2 minutes or less to evaluate, purchase, and move out.

Here are a few of my finds today


Handmade tiles for Halloween - $1 each I am slowly adding to my holiday decor
I'm not sure what to do with these but I couldn't pass them up $1 for the set

Here's a closer look. I will find a place for them somewhere in my house...kinda cool

This was my best steal....awesome clay pot for $1...I'm gonna put something cool in it...I'm open to ideas
 
This one I probably could have done without but it was only $1! I figured I could find a use for it somewhere and if not I won't even feel bad throwing it away at that price

A look at the inside.

Glass bottles for this idea on Pinterest. $2
Yoga mat $2. I don't even do yoga but for $2 I might try... (ok it was an impulse buy I admit) Anyone want a yoga mat?

Books for my baby girl...I bought all of these for $7 Right around 40 books total. Awesome right?


We also bought a sweet bike trailer to put the baby in when we go on bike rides (almost brand new $200 in stores) for $75. That was our splurge of the day but we have been wanting to buy one for awhile now. I didn't get a picture of it but it is pretty sweet.

In all it was a pretty successful garage sale Saturday.

I should mention that in all of the excitement I completely forgot to pick up my Bountiful Basket. I remembered 1 hour too late and unfortunately its a snooze you lose kind of deal. $15 down the drain. After a few choice words, I cut my losses and decided it was still a successful day overall.

2 comments:

  1. wait, as gay-a-y as it may sound, if you are giving the yoga mat away, hold on to it and give it to us when we get back haha. sometimes i want one of those when im doing pushups or situps outside. but if you decide you want to keep it no worries either. i dont really need it either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. tag selling is so fun! the little black cabinet thing you got u could use to hang ur keys in by the front door. u could also use chalkboard paint on it and write keys on it or use it for something else too! how fun!

    ReplyDelete