Sunday, June 3, 2012

Watermelon Juice

Having a one year old is exhausting. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying. Sure, some are easier than others... Some are content to just sit on your lap and watch everything around them...but they are all exhausting.

I have always said that a having a baby shouldn't keep you from doing the things you want to do....and she doesn't. She does however make me not want to do a lot of things because it is just too hard.

Rock climbing for example is something fun that Nick and I enjoy doing with each other. I always thought, oh when we have a kid we will just take it with us...while it is possible, it is definitely NOT enjoyable. She is stable enough that she wants to climb over any and every surface but she is unstable enough that she can easily fall and crack her noggin. She wants to play in the dirt, eat the rocks, jump in the river, basically anything but hold still. Exhausting.

Today, we had a family party at the park. Pretty harmless environment right? Think again. She is climbing under tables, bonking her head, getting into everyone's food, eating things from under the table, eating rocks, dumping water on her head, dumping soda on her head, climbing into the cooler...you name it. She wants to play with the bigger kids but isn't coordinated enough...I have to keep her away from the playground so she doesn't get pummeled by some kid not paying attention on the swing. I finally decided the lesser of all evils was to give her a slice of watermelon and let her have at it. She was one big sticky mess with watermelon juice dripping down her face, neck, arms, and legs. But it kept her decently entertained and close by so that I could relax for 5 minutes. We always end up leaving these kinds of events early because I am just plain exhausted.

Sometimes while I am laying in bed at night I think about my day and wonder how on earth I had the energy.

Don't get me wrong, I love being a mom and I wouldn't have it any other way. I plan on enjoying every minute of the the next however many years that I have a little one. I have had more fun and felt more love than I ever thought possible.

But, when it is 8pm and I am ready for bed...Don't judge.

3 comments:

  1. Oh the wonders of motherhood. Yep that is why I have to stop doing the things I loved, but do know they grow up and are able to do them with you real soon. Although it feels like a whole world away! Your a great mom with many thoughts and challenges like the rest of us!! Good luck, and remember we have all been there and no judgement passed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE going to bed. Even more than putting my 1 year old to bed. I think an 8 PM bedtime makes you one of the wisest mothers I've ever met!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like you need a dorrota!

    ReplyDelete