Tuesday, June 26, 2012

What? A Healthy Lunch?

I set my alarm clock for 6am. Exactly 1 hour before I need to be at work. When I factor in the 20 minute drive, that leaves me 40 minutes to shower, put on makeup, eat breakfast, and dry/straighten my hair. My tight schedule unfortunately doesn't include time to prepare a healthy lunch to eat at work.

Why don't I just wake up 10 minutes earlier you ask? Because then my alarm clock would say 5 something and that is not an acceptable time to wake up. It doesn't matter if it says 5:59. I don't wake up at 5.

As a result of me not taking the time to make a lunch  in the morning, I usually just go out. I spend an average of $5 a day. That adds up. I get tired of fast food and am usually craving something fresh and healthy. Unfortunately fresh and healthy = more money which I don't have a lot of.

Today I had an idea (ok I've had this idea 100 times before, but I have never actually done it...the phrase should more accurately state...today I acted on an idea)

Why not buy all of the ingredients for a yummy salad, make a yummy homemade dressing and divide the salad into Tuperwares that can easily be taken out of the fridge on my way out the door. Healthy, delicious lunch that takes no time out of my morning routine.

I found a recipe for a creamy balsamic dressing click here to go to the original blog

Creamy Balsamic Dressing:
4 cloves garlic, grated
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons Morton's Nature's Seasoning
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
3/4 cup extra light olive oil


(a hint...Morton's Nature's Seasoning can be found by the spices in your grocery store)

The dressing can be expensive up front, but once you have all of the ingredients you can make it again for little or no cost. I put all of the ingredients in my blender to mix them.

For the salad
Romaine lettuce
Cucumber
Red onion
Cherry Tomatoes
Cilantro
Gorgonzola cheese
Bacon
Mushrooms
(add any other ingredients you like in a salad)

I spent 30 minutes preparing the dressing and chopping the veggies. I prepared 3 Tupperware containers of salad and 3 containers of dressing. Lunch for the next 3 days. Amazing.


5 comments:

  1. even if you only spend 5 dollars a day extra on going out, it doesn't seem like a lot but it adds up to like over 1500 dollars a year. just on fast food for lunch. and most of the time, (at least for me) i spend a lot more than just 5 dollars. Think of how many more chickens and goats you could buy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what I want to know is how did the salad turn out? Is it worth the effort to buy all the ingredients and make the dressing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nessa, where are you? you have been MIA for a week.

    ReplyDelete