Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Strawberry Jam

My mom makes the best strawberry jam. Every time we go to visit her Nick and I eat about a gallon of it. It just makes everything taste better. Each time we leave to come back home I try to think of a way to smuggle it in my suitcase, but it never seems to be that practical. Never once has the thought occurred to me to make it myself. You see, jam is one of those things that I have always thought you had to be a super-mom to make. Or at least be over 50...

Today, I made jam.

Seriously, it was not that hard. It contains 3 ingredients (sugar, strawberries, and pectin), cost about $15 (strawberries were on sale for $1.40/lb), and took all of 30 minutes. I now have 7 containers of jam to put in my freezer. Amazing.

Aparantly being a super-mom isn't that hard.

Next step is homemade bread to eat with the jam...or maybe not.

Below is the recipe if you want to make it yourself! (The recipe also comes in the box of pectin)


Strawberry Freezer Jam
yield-6 cups

Ingredients
4 cups crushed strawberries
3 cups sugar
1 cup water
1 box Fruit Pectin (I used Sure-Jell brand)
1. Crush strawberries using a food processor (don't puree-it should be chunky)
2. Measure out sugar into saucepan
3. Stir box of pectin into sugar until thoroughly mixed
4. Stir in 1 cup water. Bring mixture to a boil stirring constantly. Boil and stir for 1 minute.
5. Stir crushed strawberries into mixture and stir for 1 minute
6. Pour into containers leaving 1/2 inch space at top to allow for expansion during freezing
7. Set out at room temperature for 24 hours until set. Refridgerate up to 3 weeks or freeze up to 1 year.

5 comments:

  1. Vanessa, you are so inspiring. I love the way you're tackling new challenges! BTW, I remember when I was a new member of the church (21) being intimidated by so many lovely young moms who could bake bread and do so many things I hadn't done yet. Back then, the young moms made homemaking skills cool - just like you're doing now. Keep up the good work! :) -Aunt Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brandi and I did strawberry and raspberry jam last year. It was super easy and so much fun to do with a friend. I have a great homemade bread recipe anytime you're ready.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I am not over 50 or not even 50! Paula and I made jam together several times! Love that you loved my jam! I had no idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum. I am totally going to do this :) thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have many memories of eating your mom's jam, especially on ice cream. Way to go Ness!

    ReplyDelete