Monday, May 28, 2012

Thoughts on cooking, and some Lettuce Wraps

Let me start off by saying, I don't cook. Ok, I have a handful of menu items that I occasionally rotate through including tacos, chicken quesadillas, spaghetti, and frozen pizza. I have been trying to figure out why I hate cooking so much and I have come to a few conclusions...

1. My mom didn't cook a whole lot. Don't get me wrong, we were always well fed with a pantry stocked with everything we wanted, she just didn't enjoy cooking gourmet meals and didn't cook them often.

2. We are a family of 2 1/4 and it often isn't that practical. It is easier and often cheaper to just take a trip to Cafe Rio.

3. Nick could care less about food. He literally is just as happy with a frozen pizza as he is with a gourmet meal. He also has a list a mile long of foods he won't touch. I often feel underappreciated when I do cook and therefore do not care to make the effort. Our lives just don't really revolve around food. (Ok they don't revolve around GOOD food. They do however revolve around the icecream in the freezer)

With that being said, I am in the process of turning a new leaf and becoming a better homemaker. With that comes cooking. I am in the very early stages of my family and at some point eating out will no longer be practical. I need to start cooking and I need to like it.

Yesterday I spent some time online looking up recipes and made a shopping list. I bought the necessary ingredients and tonight made a copycat PF Changs Lettuce Wraps recipe. DELICIOUS!! And it wasn't that hard to make. The best part? Nick actually said these words...

"WOW. This is really good! I could eat these all day long!"

Success. I am appreciated.

I have now decided that if I cook, Nick will start to like food. (I even snuck some onions in the mix and he didn't even notice. One step at a time)

For all of you wanting the recipe for this tasty little number it can be found here.



1 comment:

  1. Totally excited about the new blog! Why'd you leave the old one? I feel you on the cooking thing- it sucks and it has never come naturally for me like it does for courtney and mandy. I've learned a few recipes though so it definitely helps. the easier the better if you ask me. I'm going to have to try the chicken wraps!

    ReplyDelete